b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Is there any such thing as "permissive"/"causative" tenses in Biblical Hebrew?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Barry H." <nebarry AT verizon.net>
  • To: "Chris Echols" <chrisechols AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Is there any such thing as "permissive"/"causative" tenses in Biblical Hebrew?
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 19:43:32 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Echols" <chrisechols AT gmail.com>
To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 7:30 PM

This permissive vs. causative theory says that this verse would better be translated "...* but I will let his heart be hardened*..." as to remove from God any active action in doing something evil. To further drive home the point, we see that Rotherham's Emphasized Bible translates this verse as... “And Yahweh said unto Moses, When thou goest to return to Egypt, see as touching all the wonders which I have put in thy hand, that thou do them before Pharaoh—*but, I, will let his heart wax bold*, and he will not suffer the people to go.” —Exodus 4:21 Rotherham

What is your take on this phenomenon?

I think it's a theory based on theology, not Hebrew.

N.E. Barry Hofstetter, semper melius Latine sonat...
Classics and Bible Instructor, TAA
http://www.theamericanacademy.net
(2010 Savatori Excellence in Education Winner)
V-P of Academic Affairs, TNARS
bhofstetter AT tnars.net
http://www.tnars.net

http://mysite.verizon.net/nebarry