b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Emerging consensus (and paedogogy) on "Waw Consecutive" PSS

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Emerging consensus (and paedogogy) on "Waw Consecutive" PSS
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 11:23:08 +1000

Karl, I don’t think the reasoning you’ve given works. First of all, every
book is its own unit. Yes, there may be deliberate connections to other
books, but each book is it’s own unit with its own beginning. But that, I
don’t think, is all that important in the larger scheme of things. It’s the
concept of continuity of sequentiality that I have an issue with.

Take, for example, the narrator’s listing of Israel’s sins in 2 Kgs 17:

V.7 ויהי...וייראו
V.8 וילכו
V.9 ויחפאו
V.10 ויצבו
V.11 ויקטרו
V.12 ויעבדו
etc.

Are these sins in a sequence because they are all given in wayyiqtols? I
think the notion of continuation or sequentiality can’t work in this passage.
I would argue that the wayyiqtols here produce a narrative momentum that
moves the storyline forward by basically letting you ‘watch’ the action
happen ‘live’, as it were. Each new wayyiqtol brings you to another action to
watch ‘live’. Now, in the average story, most actions happen to be told in
sequence, but that’s not the result of the wayyiqtol; it’s just an incidental
detail of the way narratives are told. Sequentiality certainly does not
explain the wayyiqtols in 2 Kgs 17, where it’s an accumulation of things that
are being brought to our attention. But, each action is being separated out
for us to ‘watch’ and, therefore, share the narrator’s horror and evaluation
of each and every sin being mentioned. It builds momentum, but it’s not about
continuity or sequentiality.

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au