b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Emerging consensus (and paedogogy) on "Waw Consecutive" PSS

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Emerging consensus (and paedogogy) on "Waw Consecutive" PSS
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 17:40:41 +1000

Hi Karl.

You had written: "... that which is stated later is connected to what was
stated earlier." This simply sounds to me like saying the later clause is
somehow connected to the earlier clause. That's true. I agree. But I would
like to find out what the nature of that connection is.

As others have pointed out, though, even the assumption of some kind of
conjunctive relationship needs to be analysed further.

In any case, sequentiality certainly does not have great explanatory power
here. Sequentiality is, I would argue, a product of the narrative genre,
rather than an inbuilt grammatical component of the wayyiqtol verb.

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au