b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Emerging consensus (and paedogogy) on "Waw Consecutive" PSS

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Emerging consensus (and paedogogy) on "Waw Consecutive" PSS
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 09:46:55 +0200

Dear Randall,

You have a long experience in teaching languages, and you have made many fine contributions to the list. But I think the list-members would benefit more if you expressed yourself is a clear and distinct way. As a linguist I have worked with Classical and Semitic languages for many years, but I simply do not understand what you are saying. What in the world does it mean that "the T-A-M system of Hebrew is continued by induction with the sequential verb structures"? And further: "this is not the way Hebrew works"?

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo

My responses had assumed more than tautology in your response,
especially since one of the common 'explanations' ('first [and second]
year lies') is that the T-A-M system of Hebrew is continued by
induction with the sequential verb structures. Which is not how Hebrew
works. Not only does that 'inducted TAM' not fit the data, as
mentioned, but it doesn't explain why Hebrew would have two sequential
structures for a single process of induction. The two structures carry
different TAM. Perhaps we're agreed on this.

braxot