b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Emerging consensus (and paedogogy) on "Waw Consecutive" PSS

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Emerging consensus (and paedogogy) on "Waw Consecutive" PSS
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 11:23:55 -0700

Randall:

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 2:32 AM, Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com> wrote:

> PSS:
> Karl egrapse
> >As for the Waw Consecutive, I think it is safe to say that it represents a
> continuation from what goes before.>
>
> Except when it doesn't (i.e. doesn't continue the same T-A-M,
> that is, the two sequential structures carry their own T-A-M).
> e.g., Jud 13.3 (different time),

I have never heard of the term T-A-M before, so can you explain it?

As far as Judges 13:3, the waws indicate a continuation of the narration,
just as I indicated.

> 1Sm 1.3 (different aspect),

What does aspect have to do with the fact that the waws indicate continuance
of the narration?

> Rut 3.9 (different mood/time),

?? Time is not indicated by the verbs. How do you figure “mood”?

“I am Ruth your maid that you spread your cloak upon your maid for you are
the redeemer.” (Talk about a proposal for marriage! Translated to simple
English, “Marry me, its the law!”)

> Gen 20.11 (both we-qatal and wayyiqtol examples).

I deliberately did not distinguish between we-qatal and wayyiqtol because in
both cases they carry the narrative (and in this verse, action as well)
forward.

> And (different aspect) Gen 47.22, 1Sm 2.22,

Where do you get “aspect” from? How does that fit in Hebrew grammar?

> And (different mood/aspect) 2Ki 6.10

Where are mood and aspect in Hebrew grammar?

> And Arad letter 16.3-5, (reading this as a promise)
> we-`atta, ke-tseti mi-betexa, we-shalaHti et ha-kesef...
> ועת כצתי מביתך ושלחתי את הכסף
> 'after leaving your house and I will send the money...'
>
> Randall Buth
>

> I have made no secret in the past that I am not a grammarian, I just
describe what i have noticed over many times of reading Tanakh in Hebrew
from cover to cover. I don’t see in any of the examples that you referenced
(yes, I checked them all) anything different than what I said in my earlier
message, namely, that the waw indicates a carrying forward of the narration
or action.

And even the books that start with a waw show thereby that the authors
considered that their narrations are a continuation of the grand narration
of God’s actions into history.