b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Emerging consensus (and paedogogy) on "Waw Consecutive" PSS

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Emerging consensus (and paedogogy) on "Waw Consecutive" PSS
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 12:32:00 +0300

PSS:
Karl egrapse
>As for the Waw Consecutive, I think it is safe to say that it represents a
continuation from what goes before.>

Except when it doesn't (i.e. doesn't continue the same T-A-M,
that is, the two sequential structures carry their own T-A-M).
e.g., Jud 13.3 (different time), 1Sm 1.3 (different aspect),
Rut 3.9 (different mood/time),
Gen 20.11 (both we-qatal and wayyiqtol examples).
And (different aspect) Gen 47.22, 1Sm 2.22,
And (different mood/aspect) 2Ki 6.10
And Arad letter 16.3-5, (reading this as a promise)
we-`atta, ke-tseti mi-betexa, we-shalaHti et ha-kesef...
ועת כצתי מביתך ושלחתי את הכסף
'after leaving your house and I will send the money...'

Randall Buth

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com> wrote:
>>We will definitely be aiming to produce some tangible materials in
> the years to come, Dave. And that's the sweet truth. I can't guarantee
> anything as yet. We need to get the project off the ground first.
> But once it's flying, I think we can arrange some publications.
>>

> kol ha-kavod.
> my only request will be that proponents of anything will take their
> theory for a test drive and use it for a few hundred hours to see
> what the theory produces.
> Even a few examples have been most enlightening in talking with
> profs in the past.
>
> nitrae be-Atlanta
>
> PS: Uri's advice is on target. And to go a step further,
> imagine if someone first heard the words before learning how to
> write them. We ask students to listen through descriptions of
> 1000 pictures without subtitles or writing while learning the
> alphabet and later getting to read the picture descriptions.
>
> braxot
>
> --
> Randall Buth, PhD
> www.biblicalulpan.org