b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Emerging consensus (and paedogogy) on "Waw Consecutive" PSS

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Emerging consensus (and paedogogy) on "Waw Consecutive" PSS
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 14:46:03 -0700

Jack:

What follows is sort of thinking as I write, so please no one take this as
final conclusions.

I just did a quick survey of Biblical books, and found that 15 started with
a waw, all of them at the beginning of narratives. At least three of the
books are explicitly continuations of earlier books, to which you could
probably add three of the books of Torah. Three narrative books do not start
with a waw, two of them because they start at the beginning: Genesis and 1
Chronicles, the third one is Nehemiah. Job stands alone, not part of the
narration of the people of Israel. Of the prophets, only Jonah and Ezekiel
start with a waw, and in both cases, the book starts with a narrative.

If “We simply hop onto a moving narrative.” as George mentions, where did
the narrative start? From the quick survey above, would not the start of the
narrative be at the beginning? Would that not explain why of narrative
books, 1 Chronicles and Genesis do not start with a waw? Joshua, Judges, 1
Samuel, 1 Kings all have indications that they follow another book as an
antecedent, that leaves only five books without a clear antecedent to
follow, i.e. the narrative that we hop onto started or continued in the
previous book. Those three narrative books are Ruth, Esther and Ezra; all
three have national implications, so can be understood as carrying forth the
national narrative.

So, where does this leave us?

My understanding still is that the waw signals that the author considered
the following to be a continuation of what went before, not necessarily a
continuation in a time line, rather sometimes a continuation of a train of
thought to its conclusion. What meaning to be deduced beyond that has more
to do with other factors than the waw itself.

Those are my present considerations, or colloquially said, my 2¢.

Karl W. Randolph.