b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Emerging consensus (and paedogogy) on "Waw Consecutive" PSS

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Emerging consensus (and paedogogy) on "Waw Consecutive" PSS
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 10:05:03 +0300

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 9:23 PM, K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com> wrote:
> Randall:
>
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 2:32 AM, Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> PSS:
>> Karl egrapse
>> >As for the Waw Consecutive, I think it is safe to say that it represents
>> continuation from what goes before.>
>>
>> Except when it doesn't   (i.e. doesn't continue the same T-A-M,
>> that is, the two sequential structures carry their own T-A-M).
>> e.g., Jud 13.3 (different time),
>
> I have never heard of the term T-A-M before, so can you explain it?

It is linguistic notation for "tense-aspect-mood" and often used in
comparative discussions where languages have divergent or blurred TAM
systems. It recognizes that languages often have forms and categories
in the verb system where tense-aspect-mood parameters cannot be easily
or neatly separated in the morphology. And it allows for neutral
discussion of systems where the parameters may be difficult to define,
or may differ with different theoretical assumptions/definitions.

> As far as Judges 13:3, the waws indicate a continuation of the narration,
> just as I indicated.

So you claim that extra words mean that the narration is continuing.
(And by narration you are including the quoted speech, here, which is fine.)
My responses had assumed more than tautology in your response,
especially since one of the common 'explanations' ('first [and second]
year lies') is that the T-A-M system of Hebrew is continued by
induction with the sequential verb structures. Which is not how Hebrew
works. Not only does that 'inducted TAM' not fit the data, as
mentioned, but it doesn't explain why Hebrew would have two sequential
structures for a single process of induction. The two structures carry
different TAM. Perhaps we're agreed on this.

braxot

--
Randall Buth, PhD
www.biblicalulpan.org