b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Blau's explanation for how ultimate stress became inHebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr>
  • To: "Barry" <nebarry AT verizon.net>, "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Blau's explanation for how ultimate stress became inHebrew
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 19:48:11 +0200

In Latin, the stress accent is alway remains on the first syllable of the word.

Glurps? :) Yippurs, always remains. Check any standard Latin grammar under stress accent.
***
I cannot see the relevance of this.

In addition, the idea that Latin accent remains on the first syllable of the "word" is a complete fiction, in my opinion.
Please explain.

A.
***

I took this to mean that long vowels could not stand in unstressed syllables.
***
No
this is not the issue.
The issue is that short unstressed vowels could develop into long unstressed vowels,
Something that strikes me as being complete nonsense.
A.
***

You apparently were talking about "pretonic vowels" becoming
long, as part of a linguistic process?

However, lookee what I found:

http://www.jstor.org/pss/1517715

http://www.jstor.org/pss/542171

I can assume you're familiar with these articles?
***
No I'm not.

If you have any free access to them, then thank you for providing it.
Otherwise you'll have to explain them yourself.

So far your statement about Greek and Latin remains completely plucked from the air.

A.