b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Blau's explanation for how ultimate stress became inHebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Barry" <nebarry AT verizon.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Blau's explanation for how ultimate stress became inHebrew
  • Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 12:38:28 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Isaac Fried" <if AT math.bu.edu>
To: "Garth Grenache" <garthgrenache AT hotmail.com>
Cc: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2010 11:43 AM

I don't believe in short and long vowels. They don't exist now, and there is no reason for them to have existed before. Prof. Blau seems to have a lively imagination.

With all due respect, is this even a point of discussion in any of the literature? Most of my concern with Hebrew is simply being able to read and understand it, and some of the, ahem, arcana discussed on this list is quite new to me, but I think I would have noticed this if it were considered debateable. The references I have on the shelf certainly don't question the existence of long and short vowels. So, Isaac, are you alone in this, or is there some published literature on the subject?

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Classics and Bible Instructor, TAA
http://www.theamericanacademy.net
(2010 Savatori Excellence in Education Winner)
Mentor, TNARS
http://www.tnars.net

http://mysite.verizon.net/nebarry