b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Blau's explanation for how ultimate stress became in Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Garth Grenache <garthgrenache AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Blau's explanation for how ultimate stress became in Hebrew
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 11:43:47 -0400

I don't believe in short and long vowels. They don't exist now, and there is no reason for them to have existed before. Prof. Blau seems to have a lively imagination.

Isaac Fried, Boston University

On Aug 2, 2010, at 11:22 AM, Garth Grenache wrote:

>>Would you like me to give Blau's explanation for how ultimate stress became in Hebrew?
Isaac Friend>What is it?

Blau suggests four stages of stress from ProtoHebrew/ProtoSemitic to Hebrew:

i. Perhaps second-last syllable (penult) is stressed in words containing only short vowels; otherwise the last long vowel was stressed, which was often also the penult.
ii. General penultimate stress.
iii. Loss of final short vowels in most verbs and nouns leaves the stress on last syllable (ultima).
iv. Some words with penultimate stress which retained long final vowels, had their stress also moved to the ultima, e.g. sha:-mA-ra:- >sha:-ma-rA: -> sha:me-rA: (pausal retains original vowel and its penultimate accent shamA:ra: because it was lengthened in pause)

Garth Grenache, Australia