b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] FW: The most difficult

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'B-Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] FW: The most difficult
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 23:16:23 -0400

Pere,
Though I have not studied Job much in Hebrew, I think it is the most
difficult book to translate.
The reason I think this is because, when I do word studies, I find that Job
most often uses words to have very different meanings than the same word in
other books. I do not have this problem with any other book nearly as much
as Job. Never Ezekiel, but sometimes Lamentations.

Also, though, I don't have data, I seem to encounter more hapaxes in Job
than any other book.

As an example, Job 40:15ff:
V15 - behemoth
V16 navel
V17 פַחֲדָו יַחְפֹּץ
V18 bars

Sincerely,
-Steve Miller
Detroit
www.voiceInWilderness.info
TV article about my Dad for teaching math for 75 years and still teaching.
http://www.wbaltv.com/education/23857145/detail.html

> > On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 12:06 AM, Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > I wish to know what is the most difficult passage of the Hebrew
> > > Bible to translate to English.
> > > Maybe are there more than one (namely two, three...), which are
> > > equally difficult?
> > >
> > > Pere Porta
> > > (Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)

  • [b-hebrew] FW: The most difficult, Steve Miller, 07/25/2010