b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 30:20-30

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 30:20-30
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 01:53:16 +0300

James,

1. What do you mean by "minimalist" when you use it here?

2. What evidence do you have that the Samaritan version of the Pentateuch is
as old as the division of the monarchy? To counter your claim, I'd point out
that there is no evidence, textual or archaeological, of there being an
important cultic site on Mt. Gerizim before the Persian Period, despite the
fact that the SP repeats the commandment to sacrifice there regularly
several times. According to the Bible, the main sanctuaries of the Northern
Kingdom were at Bethel and at Dan. Had there been such a sanctuary at Mt.
Gerizim the Bible would surely have denounced it.

Yigal Levin