b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 30:20-30

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 30:20-30
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 00:53:08 +1000

James, I think you may be mixing the categories of myth and legend. A myth
has absolutely no historical basis at all, even though it may be trying to
explaining something very real. The Greek gods belong to this category.
Legend, on the other hand, has an historical kernel around which an
embellished tradition has accrued. The Greek heroes Heracles and Odysseus are
probably just such 'legendary' figures.

Now, in terms of the aetiologies in the Bible, you may very well be correct
that they have a legendary development going back to a real historical
person/event. However, there is no way to corroborate this. There isn't even
any 'probability' here in terms of historical likelihood. We just simply do
not know. If you opt for a 'likely historical' view, then you are doing so on
the basis of an assumption, preference, or faith. That's OK to do that, so
long as it's acknowledged.

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au