b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 30:20-30

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 30:20-30
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 12:45:06 +0300

Yitzhak,

you're logic is completely self contradictory. If you are to insist that the
second bath is talking about Anah then by the same token you would have to
insist that Zibeon was Esau's wife. Your understanding contradicts the wider
context of 10 verses later. You seem to be grasping at straws and it's not
doing you any favours. It's making you look completely incompetent and
lacking in a basic understanding of Hebrew.

The LXX is evidently a bad translation here. The clause continues to supply
additional information about Oholibamah. She is the focus throughout the
clause. To change the focus from Oholibamah to Anah back to Oholibamah
breaks the natural semantic logic of the phrase. The Vulgate corrects the
LXX mistake and goes back to the original Hebrew. I have no idea why the LXX
contains such an elementary mistake. Presumably the translators Hebrew was
good enough. I would suggest the best bet is that they were either working
with a corrupt text with BN in place of BT or being in a hurry and knowing
Anah to be a bloke didn't read the text carefully and translated as uios.

James Christian