b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 30:20-30

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 30:20-30
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 14:57:05 -0700

Yitzhak:

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>wrote:

> Let us consider first the possibility that the text really does read
> "hot springs."
> In this case the most interesting issue that comes up is the fact that the
> person's name is (nh. There are several roots of Ayin-Nun that have to do
> with fertility:
>
> Ayin Nun Heh - Fertility,

Which verse in Tanakh has that reading?

> from which probably comes the name of the goddess (nt,
> and perhaps also the word (t - season, time.

This sounds like the etymological fallacy to me.

> Ayin Nun Nun - Raincloud
> Ayin Yodh Nun - Spring.
>

> Before we explore this amazing agreement, it is important to point out that
> the spelling of the Pentateuch definitely does not predate the 6th century
> BCE.

Where is your evidence for that? I would love to see those Hebrew
manuscripts that predate the 6th century BC that you reference for your
evidence. Are they online? Looking at the Siloam inscription, I see nothing
that looks out of place for MT unpointed Pentateuch.