b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 30:20-30

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 30:20-30
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 00:21:33 +0300

Well, let's take a look at this from a probabilistic point of view. What are
the odds that some Horite (been wiped out by the Edomites long since even if
they ever actually even existed) was well known by the post David Israelites
for having found some hot springs in the desert?

Doesn't sound too convincing when you put it like that does it?

But if we then ask about the likelihood of his being known by a bunch of
nomads wandering about in the desert who may well have seen said hot springs
the odds seem to go up some what. Wouldn't you agree?

James Christian