b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Better concordance?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yodan" <yodan AT yodanco.com>
  • To: "'Pere Porta'" <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Better concordance?
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 22:09:20 -0800

Pere,

I do agree with you that ASHPA has the two meanings you mentioned. According
to Even Shoshan Concordance, the Tanakh has 13 occurrences of Ashpa
(including its plurals) – 6 of which have the meaning “case for arrows” and
the other seven are “refuse heap”.

However, according to this concordance, the noun in all of these occurrences
is feminine.

The Gesenius (Brown, Driver, and Briggs) Biblical Hebrew Dictionary, divides
these words into two groups. The first one, Ashpa, meaning “case for
arrows”, is listed as a feminine noun. The second one is listed under the
root Shin.Pei.Hei, meaning “refuse heap”, where the gender is stated as
possibly masculine – written as [m] (i.e. M in square brackets).

Do you have other sources for the gender of these words?

Also, does Ashpot need to be a singular masculine in the verses you
mentioned? Why can’t it be the plural of Ashpa?

The way these words are listed in the Even Shoshan Concordance it is clear
that this concordance considered Ashpot to be the plural of Ashpa.

The Mandelkern Concordance also lists Ashpot and Ashpatot as a plural (but
the gender is not indicated).

Rivka Sherman-Gold

<http://www.CalisraVentures>

_____