b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Better concordance?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Better concordance?
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 04:36:56 -0500

Everything that is אסוף is אשפה

Isaac Fried, Boston University

On Feb 22, 2010, at 12:28 AM, Pere Porta wrote:

Rivka,

yes, you're right if we deal with the formal appearance of the word, namely
the form we see and read...
But in its use in 1Sa 2:8; Psa 113:7; Neh 3:14 and other places this noun is
used as a singular masculine.
Remark that in these verses A$POT has no meaning related to that of A$PFH,
*quiver for arrows* (Job 39:23).

Maybe it is a plural feminine fossilized form? It is possible.
But... that is used in the forementioned verses as a singular masculine with
a quite different meaning from that of A$PFH...

You will agree with me that a *quiver for arrows* has nothing to do
with a*refuse-heap
*...

Pere Porta