b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew "PLG"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew "PLG"
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 08:27:14 +0200

Ishinan,

I won't and can't comment on the Indo-European "plough".

As far as the Arabic "flg" - as much as we might make of Arabic "cognates",
we must remember that Arabic is a different branch of Semitic languages, and
that ANY written form of Arabic, certainly Classical Arabic, is many
centuries later than Biblical Hebrew. So that even if the Hebrew and Arabic
roots do derive from the same Proto-Semitic origin, their meanings don't
have to be related. If anything, I would posit that the Arabic meaning of
"do make cuts in the earth" is derived from the older "divide".

In the Bible itself, the verb PLG appears only 4 times. Gen. 10:25 and 1
Chr. 1:19 are identical. In Job 38:25, "divided a watercourse" seems to work
fine in the context. And Ps. 55:10 refers to "PLG"ing the enemy's tongues,
which, while it does not refer directly to Gen. 11, certainly carries the
same idea.

As a noun, Peleg is mostly connected to streams of water. Judges 5:15-16
refers to the "Pelagot" or the tribe of Reuben in a military context -
"divisions" sound right to me. And 2 Chr. 35:5 and 12 speaks of divisions of
Levites and Priests.

And finally, "in Peleg's days the earth was ploughed"? Why? The first
agriculturist was Cain (Gen. 4:2), and nowhere else does the Bible give a
postdiluvian etiology for something that was already "invented" before the
flood.

Yigal Levin