b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Akhenaton (Was: The King's road: Bezer)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Akhenaton (Was: The King's road: Bezer)
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:54:37 +1100

We're getting a little off the topic of Hebrew here, James. But ok, I'll
indulge you this one - just don't head into the historicity and dating of the
Exodus question. Yes, I think the Amarna corpus is fairly good evidence that
there is no entity called 'Israel' around at the time. Again, we can't be
completely sure, because we'd have to know a little more about who used the
term 'Israel' and what they thought they were describing with it. So there is
some ambiguity involved. But, yes, I'd say it's a plausible conclusion given
the nature of the evidence.

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au