b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The King's road: Bezer

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The King's road: Bezer
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 18:22:41 +0200

Jim:

In theory, you could be right. However:

1. At least a hundred years separate the Amarna references to Busruna
and the biblical references to Bezer (assuming that the latter are
historically reliable and not anachronistic - which I would not take for
granted).
2. Most of the inter-city conflicts that are recorded in the Amarna
letters are between towns that are closer than that.
3. There are several other places in Transjordan that have names
derived from the root BCR, which means "to harvest grapes". Most famous is
Bazrah, chief city of Edom, but there are others. So why focus on this
otherwise unknown Bezer?
4. Even if so, so what?

Yigal Levin

_____