b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Akhenaton (Was: The King's road: Bezer)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: jimstinehart AT aol.com
  • To: George.Athas AT moore.edu.au, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Akhenaton (Was: The King's road: Bezer)
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:00:14 -0500

George Athas:

The article you cite gives one scenario, but it's not the most likely one.
The new news is that it seems to have now been confirmed, as long suspected,
that Tut's mother was a full-sister of Akhenaten. Nothing in inscriptions
suggests that Akhenaten married his full-sister and fathered Tut by her. Tut
frequently refers to Amenhotep III as "father", and never refers to Akhenaten
as "father". More likely is that Amenhotep III is the biological father of
Tut, and a daughter of Amenhotep III and Queen Tiye is Tut's biological
mother. That fits the DNA evidence, and makes much more sense historically.
It requires a long co-regency, but that fits the dating of the Amarna Letters
better than the alternative of there being no co-regency.

Akhenaten's known actions make sense only if, like Abraham, Isaac and Jacob,
Akhenaten was a younger son and early semi-monotheist who had a terrible time
siring a son by his beloved main wife.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois