b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Akhenaton (Was: The King's road: Bezer)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Akhenaton (Was: The King's road: Bezer)
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:52:31 +1100

James, I wasn't seeking to enter into a discussion on dating the Exodus, so I
won't take the bait. I was, rather, making a statement of principle and
method. We, some three and a half millennia after Akhenaton, have very little
information on which we can evaluate the psychology and circumstances that
lead one ancient Egyptian of royal stock to create a monotheistic religion
worshipping the Sun (not Yahweh), in breach of previous Egyptian religious
traditions. Maybe he had a dream? Maybe he had some other kind of personal
religious experience/revelation like Muhammad? Maybe he just hated the old
religious traditions and felt suffocated by them? Maybe he was a
megalomaniac? Maybe he just had funny chemistry in the brain? There are just
so many possibilities here and so little detailed knowledge of his context
that it's virtually impossible from our standpoint to be specific.

Most of what you said is an argument from silence. It's all possible, yes,
but it can never be tested and confirmed. Therefore, there's little that we
can actually do with it, and we must acknowledge that it is only speculation.
It's fun to speculate, but speculation and historical construction are two
very different things.

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au