b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Akhenaton (Was: The King's road: Bezer)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Akhenaton (Was: The King's road: Bezer)
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 12:13:12 +0200

Hi Karl,

in the meantime while I was writing George himself wrote to correct the
date. This wasn't simple reliance on Wikipedia. This is the state of
Egyptology.

Wikipedia currently host a good photo of the Merneptah stele. If you know a
better place I could link to a good photo so that list members can see what
we are talking about then I'm open to suggestions.

None of the data I have provided draws from or relies on Manetho in any way.
I have only references writing on the wall so to speak. I have only
considered primary source data of physical remains of Archeology.

The letters I was referring to were to Amenhoteps of the 18th dynasty. So I
really don't see how they could be dated to 8th or 9th centuries.

The writing about Yhw of the land of the Shashu is in a 18th dynasty temple.
Merheptah is a late 19th dynasty. He was the 13th son of Rameses II. Only
came to power because all his older brothers kicked the bucket (for such a
big number somebody probably helped them out with said kicking of said
bucket). I find it most likely that the reference to Yhw is therefore much
earlier than the Merneptah stele although it could be argued that this was a
later addition to the temple but I've seen no data that would suggest this
to be the case.

Finally, it is an analysis of the Moabite stele, the Jewish written history
and the Egyptian archeological sources that lead us to a chronology that
would suggest the 18th dynasty. The Moabite stele sets the Kingdom of Isreal
with Omri as King. We know how much earlier than the exile this was because
of further records in Kings. We have a good idea who the Pharaoh of
Solomon's day was because of the reference to Shishak (probably Shoshenq).
Adding up the years to Solomon in the Torah, Joshua, Judges, and Samuel
makes the 18th dynasty fit well chronologically.

Also, it would seem from Josephus we have a clear and unambiguous reference
that the earlier great pharaohs who built the pyramids and so forth predated
Abraham considerably.

James Christian