b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Tools For Learning Ancient Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Tools For Learning Ancient Hebrew
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 20:44:33 +0200

>Randall Buth showed some mixing in of modern Hebrew in his
understanding of Biblical Hebrew, because he is more familiar with modern
Hebrew than Biblical Hebrew.

come on, Karl, that's below the belt.
Just because you alleged something doesn't prove something.
you didn't like `alay la`asot "it's on me to do."
But it does exist in BH, and arguably with the meaning proposed,
accepted by recognized authorities beyond yourself.
And you NEVER suggested a better way to say 'I've got to do something'.

So tread easy. I've met many a scholar who assume that something is
'modern Hebrew' just because they don't really know either, and then
learn later that they were rash.

blessings,

Randall

--