b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tools For Learning Ancient Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Andrew Pike <uir.domini AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tools For Learning Ancient Hebrew
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:41:14 -0800

Andrew:

Welcome. But I don’t think much of our discussions will be of use to you.

I took one year of Biblical Hebrew, neglected it for a year and a half, then
started reading in Genesis. The first time through took me four years.

The most valuable tool that I used was an analytical lexicon. What was
available to me was Davidson’s analytical lexicon. I wore it out, used it so
much that it fell apart and pages were lost. But by that time, I had learned
the language well enough that I no longer needed it.

As Randall mentioned, I would highly discourage using an interlinear. I
never even bought one. I never even had a translation next to me as I was
reading. I have not read an English translation for so long that I am not
familiar with any, though the ESV has been highly recommended to me.

I would not waste my time learning modern Hebrew: it is a different
language, with a different grammar and many words have different meanings.
If you learned modern Hebrew first, then you would have to unlearn a lot of
stuff in order to become really fluent in Biblical Hebrew. In discussions on
this list, Randall Buth showed some mixing in of modern Hebrew in his
understanding of Biblical Hebrew, because he is more familiar with modern
Hebrew than Biblical Hebrew.

Many learning materials are available on line. Bibles for almost all
computers are found at http://www.crosswire.org including the Biblical
languages, for free. They also have lexicons there. I have copies on
Macintoshes, Windows™, Linux (Ubuntu) and just today added on my iPod Touch
(iPhone compatible).

These are my 2¢, what I could think of quickly off the top of my head. Hope
this is of help.

Karl W. Randolph.