b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tools For Learning Ancient Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tools For Learning Ancient Hebrew
  • Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 10:59:00 -0800

On 5 Feb 2010 at 9:41, K Randolph wrote:

> I would not waste my time learning modern Hebrew: it is a
> different
> language, with a different grammar and many words have different
> meanings.
> If you learned modern Hebrew first, then you would have to unlearn a
> lot of
> stuff in order to become really fluent in Biblical Hebrew.

Agreed. Learning modern Hebrew to understand biblical Hebrew is like
learning modern
English in order to understand Beowulf. The only reason I can see for
learning modern
Hebrew is to interact with some of the literature on biblical Hebrew that's
written in MH. But
get a solid grasp of biblical Hebrew first so it's not overly confusing.

Dave Washburn

http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur