b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tools For Learning Ancient Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Richard" <aaa AT endlyss.com>
  • To: "'Andrew Pike'" <uir.domini AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tools For Learning Ancient Hebrew
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 10:20:25 -0800

Hi Andrew

When I first became interested in learning Hebrew (with main goal of
Biblical Hebrew) I bought all kinds of stuff; computer programs, children's
Hebrew basics books, college textbooks, a Pimsleur course, a lot of stuff.

You really need to learn how the Hebrew language works. It is not like
English.

What worked the best for me overall was a book called "The First Hebrew
Primer" (with separate answer book)
http://www.ekspublishing.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=2&main_page=index

It worked wonders for me. It is Biblical Hebrew but even for modern Hebrew
it will give you a solid foundation of the language and you can adjust
accordingly. Some people say to learn modern Hebrew first. I actually
avoided modern Hebrew for awhile to keep from confusing myself because
Biblical was my main focus (I am now thoroughly enjoying learning modern
Hebrew as well).

The book looks scary when you open it but it is really tame with bite sized
lessons and a LOT of exercises. After you go through "The First Hebrew
Primer" you will have an excellent, *basic*, working knowledge of Hebrew.

If I had to choose one thing to initially learn from it would be "First
Hebrew Primer". I still keep it at my right hand along with my Hebrew
dictionaries and other resources. Don't forget to get the answer book too!

There are a lots of good resources, I have more on my wish list, "The Brown
Driver-Briggs Hebrew and English Lexicon" is good (with separate index).
"Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament" is interesting. If you can
afford it there is an excellent computer program called "Bibleworks" that is
extremely fast and helpful with morphology breakdown and instant mouse over
lexicon. I use a ton of Hebrew resources. Every little bit helps. It's slow
going to start but does speed up as you go along.

Hope this helps.

Richard

Text
> available; b) The best Hebrew Interlinear available; c) The best learning
tools
> (Lexicons and Concordances); and; d) The best English translation of the
Old