b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] GAGA Hebrew ?! (was Perception . . .)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] GAGA Hebrew ?! (was Perception . . .)
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 22:35:03 +0200

Hi,

One of the advantages of dyslexia, is that I can’t trust that I have
> accurately perceived the written text, therefore I developed a way of
> reading in context. When I read a word, I anticipate what will be the next
> word, both on the basis of the word I am reading, and on the basis of the
> flow of ideas that preceded that word. After much practice, I do it
> unconsciously and seldom make mistakes. But the extra processing that my
> mind does, means that I can’t speed read.

Psycholinguistics show that we all do this to some extent. The same can be
said of speech signals. The tiny waves we perceive at a low level between
consonant and vowel sounds gives us a statistical indicator of the sound
that is coming. And so we often perceive the sound before we actually even
hear it.

James Christian