b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] GAGA Hebrew ?! (was Perception . . .)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: James Spinti <JSpinti AT eisenbrauns.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] GAGA Hebrew ?! (was Perception . . .)
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 17:42:54 +0200

Every system is ambiguous. That's my whole point! It's impossible to make
one that is unambigous because it is impossible to discern the beginnings
and ends of perceived sounds. This is why sliding window techniques work
best.

The point here is 'What level of perception was at play when they
implemented this ambiguous system?' Was it the syllable level or was it the
consonant vowel level? That's the question.

James Christian