b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] GAGA Hebrew ?! (was Perception . . .)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] GAGA Hebrew ?! (was Perception . . .)
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 17:55:29 +0200

JamesC katav
<Evidently, the implementers of the Hebrew alphabet did perceive, at some
level, the differences between consonants ba, bi and bu because this helped
them to discern intended meanings. However, they did not discern these
differences at the level of 'Make me a different symbol for each sound you
hear in this speech signal'.
<
<I hope this helps to clarify your misunderstanding.

Well, the above paragraph just made mud.

By definition,
if [ba], [bi], [bu] helped them discern intended meanings,
they were phonemic. They were part of their linguistic system.
They were preceived by the users as meaningful signals.

End of story. End of GAGA Hebrew.

--
Randall Buth, PhD
www.biblicalulpan.org