b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Inventors of the Hebrew alphabet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Inventors of the Hebrew alphabet
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 22:44:29 +0200

It is easy to see that both Phonecian and Paleo alphabets are later lazier
adaptations of the Proto-Canaanite alphabet which is not so lazy in terms of
drawing things like ox heads. Even older attested symbols are those of
Proto-Sinaitic script found in Palestine and Sinai region and dated to 1800
and 1500 BCE. See for example the Wadi el-Hol script. Here's a picture of
the 1500 dated text:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a9/Ba`alat.jpg<http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a9/Ba%60alat.jpg>

<http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a9/Ba%60alat.jpg>Evidently, the
1800 text is represents an older script than the Phoenician script that they
started circulating around the mediterranean from 1500 onwards. Also it is
easier to see the connection with Egyptian pictograms in this stage of the
evolution of the alphabet. If we are to believe the historic claim that
Moses ran away from Egypt into the Sinai he would certainly have had contact
with this alphabet and not the later Phoenician stage of its evolution.

James Christian