b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] GAGA Hebrew ?! (was Perception . . .)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] GAGA Hebrew ?! (was Perception . . .)
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 23:07:00 +0200

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Randall Buth wrote:
> Extending the name from YitzHaq's GIGO Hebrew thread to "GAGA":
> GAGA Hebrew ?! (was Perception . . .)

Well, GIGO stands for Garbage In-Garbage Out...

> there is not much to add. The people of Ugarit (14-12c BCE) had
> three vowels (meaningfully perceived sound-units)  in their phonology
> but only wrote consonants. the Phoenicians only wrote consonants,
> the Hebrews only wrote consonants. the Aramaens only wrote
> consonants, the Arabs only wrote consonants.

As I'm sure you know, Ugarit is usually considered to have had five vowel
qualities (two of them developed from diphthongs, aw / ay).

Also, although the majority of Ugaritic inscriptions were written in
alphabetic cuneiform, the use of syllabic cuneiform in some cases is
instrumental in understanding the vowels.

Yitzhak Sapir