b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] GAGA Hebrew ?! (was Perception . . .)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] GAGA Hebrew ?! (was Perception . . .)
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 18:05:22 +0200

Your line of logic doesn't make any sense. All it does it show me that you
still haven't understood that there are different levels of psycholinguistic
perception.

We perceive the sounds between vowels and consonants at the level I have
shown yet we don't write them down. In the same way the implementors of the
Hebrew alphabet perceived different syllables at the level of being able to
differentiate meanings but no at the level of 'this is different enough to
make a separate symbol for'. This suggests the symbols represented
perception of syllables but neglected the sounds that connected them (i.e.
the vowels) just as our system represents the consonants and vowels but not
the sounds which connect them (the little bits in between when we segment a
speech signal).

However, these little bits are important to our understanding. They provide
statistical information to our neural pathways which helps us anticipate
which vowel or consonant is coming next. They are instrumental in our
understanding. They are meaningful units of sound.

Can you still not see that there are different levels of perception? How do
you manage to convince yourself that you are a high calibre linguist and yet
show your ignorance of the field of psycholinguists (I am imitating your
style of speech in the hope it will stimulate understanding).

James Christian