b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Phonemes versus phones

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: Stoney Breyer <stoneyb AT touchwoodcreative.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Phonemes versus phones
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 17:40:20 +0200

The points you raise assume a community with linguistic knowledge of

a) the difference between consonants and vowels
b) the phonetic implications and tradeoffs of implementing consonants only
rather than consonants and vowels
c) the statistical apparatus to discern a solution in terms of ambiguity
versus reusability

In short, you are assuming a society with sophisticated linguistic
understanding and strong analytical skills.

I am assuming a bunch of farmers/nomads/traders who couldn't care a toss
about linguistic journals and just wanted to implement a system which
expressed the basic sound units they perceived as worth expressing. Level of
perception is the most important factor that would come into play if such
was the case.

I am willing to accept the possibility that they were such a complex society
as your assumptions suggest but find it extremely low probability (no, I
won't attempt to assign any bogus figure a la Randall).

Also, yes, you are probably right my training and experience with speech
signals is probably influencing my opinion. Could it be that our modern
perception of consonants and vowels is influencing our theories on the
perception of the ancients who implemented this alphabet.

James Christian