b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zechariah 4:6-7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'kenneth greifer'" <greifer AT hotmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zechariah 4:6-7
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 20:55:45 -0400

> From: kenneth greifer
>
> Steve,
>
> If you translate Zechariah 4:6-7 as "Who are you, great mountain? Before
> Zerubbabel, you are for a plain", aren't you adding the words "you are"?
> Doesn't it say "Who are you, great mountain? Before Zerubbabel is to a
> plain"?

[Steve Miller] Yes, I am adding the words "you are".

I think the "you" is carried over from the previous question, and "are" is
supplied as a normal rendering of a verbless sentence.
Another example where "you" is carried over from the previous clause, and
"are" is supplied is Hos 1:10.

Like in English, it is answering the question without repeating the words of
the question.
It would be like the question and answer:
Do you know what you are, O rich man? A miserable human being.
"You are" is implied in the answer.

> Maybe someone else would comment on this quote if we ask why a dagesh is
> or is not in some letter in the quote. Just kidding.
>
> Kenneth Greifer

[Steve Miller] Thanks again. I hadn't noticed that detail of the verse.
Sincerely,
-Steve Miller
www.voiceInWilderness.info
The Lord send your help from the sanctuary,
out of Zion support thee,
remember all your offerings,
and consume your burnt offering. Selah (Psalm 20:2-3)