b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zechariah 4:6-7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'kenneth greifer'" <greifer AT hotmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zechariah 4:6-7
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 22:10:06 -0400

> From: kenneth greifer Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:40 AM
>
> I think I asked this question before about Zechariah 4:6-7, but I can't
> find the answer in the archives, so maybe this is a repeat question.
>
> I don't understand the usual translation of Zechariah 4:6-7, and I wonder
> if it makes more sense if the letter hay at the end of the word attah
> (you) could be moved to the beginning of "the great mountain".
>
> Maybe it could say "Not in power, and not in might, but in My spirit, says
> the L-rd of hosts, who is with (alef tav) the great mountain (in spirit),
> before Zerubabbel, is to a plain (in spirit)." Maybe compared to
> Zerubabbel, a person with a lot of spirit has nothing.
>

> Or maybe it says "Not in power, and not in might, but in My spirit, says
> the L-rd of hosts, who is with the great mountain (in spirit) before Me,
> Zerubbabel, is to a plain (in spirit)."
>

> I have been told that mi (who) is used in questions, but I found it used
> in statements in Ex. 24:14, Ex 32:24,26, 33, Prov. 9: 4, 16, Isaiah 54:15,
> and Psalm 107:43.
>

> Does anyone have any opinion on these possible translations? I can think
> of some other possible translations with the hay moved over like this, but
> I think these two make more sense than the other possibilities.
>

> Kenneth Greifer

[Steve Miller]
Kenneth,
Thank you for the thought-provoking posting.

Here are a few comments on the 2 translations proposed:

1. You are using mi as a relative pronoun whose antecedent is the Lord of
hosts. Mi is never used as a relative pronoun. The examples you give are
cases where mi has the meaning of "whoever", which is not a relative
pronoun. "Whoever" does not take an antecedent. It is a pronoun, but not a
relative pronoun.

2. You are taking "et" to mean "with" connecting 2 nouns. Can you give me an
example of where "et" means "with"? Can you give me an example where "et"
links 2 nouns by supplying the meaning "with"?

3. The 1st translation makes "My Spirit", The Lord of host's Spirit,
something negative.

4. I don't understand the 2nd translation. It adds the word "Me" after
"before", but "Me" isn't there.

5. The unamended text makes fine sense. The thing that God will do will not
be by an army, nor by strength, but by His Spirit. A mountain is a very big
difficulty in the way. What is the problem with the common translation?

Sincerely,
-Steve Miller
Detroit
www.voiceInWilderness.info
The Lord send your help from the sanctuary,
out of Zion support thee,
remember all your offerings,
and consume your burnt offering. Selah (Psalm 20:2-3)