b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zechariah 4:6-7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'kenneth greifer'" <greifer AT hotmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zechariah 4:6-7
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 22:11:18 -0400

Kenneth,
It is a verbless sentence, so the English verb "was" or "is" is added in
English. If "haya" were there, then the meaning would be "become", but since
there is no "haya", the literal meaning is "you are", not "you will become".

So I would translate it:
Who are you, great mountain? Before Zerubbabel, you are for a plain.

It is not that the mountain becomes a plain. It actually already is a plain
for Zerubbabel to cross over. The mountain is a seemingly surpassing
roadblock.

Thanks for pointing out this detail. I had not noticed it before you started
this thread.

Sincerely,
-Steve Miller
www.voiceInWilderness.info
The Lord send your help from the sanctuary,
out of Zion support thee,
remember all your offerings,
and consume your burnt offering. Selah (Psalm 20:2-3)