b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] qohelet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] qohelet
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:47:59 -0700 (PDT)

    Dear Bryant,

   As to the content: I do not know any other book in the HB which presents a
point of view similar to that found in Qohelet, such as in  1:1-11, or 9:1-6
to cite just two passages of many. Not only are they different, they
contradict the spirit of  other books. I find similarities between such
deeply pessimistic, or nihilistic attitude,and some Hellenistic philosophers.

  As for the style, the position that I support, simply states that Qohelet,
as well as other HB books in the latter part of the canon, display clear
evidence of linguistic use which would be seen later in the language of the
Mishnah. Randal Buth has discussed this in some detail in recent posts.

Familiarity with MH makes the diachronic changes in the language clear.

  Regards,

  Uri Hurwitz