b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Light be made versus Let there be light.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'b-hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Light be made versus Let there be light.
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 23:04:41 -0400

Most people think that "yehi or vayehi or" means that God spoke light into
existence in that verse. I don't think it has to mean that.

The phrase "haya <noun>" without a predicate seems to be rare.

An example is the 6 repetitions in Gen 1 of the phrase "vayehi erev vayehi
bokar", "and it became evening, and it became morning". It doesn't mean that
evening and morning never existed before and came into existence 6 times.

"Light be made" is about as good a translation of Gen 1:3 as "and evening
was made, and morning was made" is of 1:5b, 8b, and so forth for each of the
6 days.

Sincerely,
-Steve Miller
www.voiceInWilderness.info
The Lord send your help from the sanctuary,
out of Zion support thee,
remember all your offerings,
and consume your burnt offering. Selah (Psalm 20:2-3)