b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] State of the art for encoding the sheva-na?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Sarah J. Blake" <sarah AT growingstrong.org>
  • To: "Efraim Feinstein" <efraim.feinstein AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] State of the art for encoding the sheva-na?
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 18:42:46 -0400

If you use a separate Unicode character for this, please note it in an introductory piece. In the event that a braille transcriber picks up the Unicode files for use with transcription software, the private use characters would not be interpreted correctly and the alternate sheva character would not be transcribed. This would render incorrect Hebrew braille. For blind Hebrew readers this matters greatly. There are a growing number of us out there who are experiencing a widening world of literature available on the Web via Unicode. That experience will only be maintained as long as we are able to make our software keep up with what people are doing with advanced use of Unicode.

Thanks!

Sarah J. Blake
Email: sjblake AT growingstrong.org
http://www.growingstrong.org