b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XBR vs. ubburu: Hebron

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XBR vs. ubburu: Hebron
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 16:31:43 -0800

Jim:

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 1:07 PM, <JimStinehart AT aol.com> wrote:

> 2. Within Biblical Hebrew
>
> A resh/R in the Bronze Age sometimes softened to a lamed/L by the Late
> Bronze
> Age or the Iron Age. Also, in the Bronze Age and Iron Age some dialects
> may
> have said resh/R while other dialects said lamed/L, and vice versa, even
> though they were the same words.

The problem with cognate languages is that they are cognate languages. Just
because some languages had one and the others the other does not mean that
the sounds were interchangeable.

> Even within the Bible itself, there is sometimes a de facto
> interchangeability of resh/R and lamed/L, reflecting that phenomenon.
>
> (a) In connection with Isaiah 13: 22, Gesenius remarks: "the letter resh
> [R] being softened into lamed [L] as is frequently the case." The most
> famous
> Biblical example of this phenomenon is Isaiah 13: 22, where the two
> underlying
> basic words, one spelled with a lamed/L and one spelled with a resh/R, are
> as
> follows: aleph-lamed-mem-nun/aLman = forsaken;
> aleph-resh-mem-vav-nun/aRman
> = palace. At Isaiah 13: 22, we see a feminine plural form, spelled with a
> lamed/L: aleph-lamed-mem-nun-vav-tav. But although the lamed/L would
> normally
> indicate "forsaken", here this word is often taken to mean "palaces", as if
> the second letter was resh/R. Or possibly there is a double meaning here,
> so
> that the word in context means "forsaken palaces". Gesenius further notes
> in
> this context: "i.q. aleph-resh-mem-nun-tav (which is itself the reading of
> some copies)".

While it is a possibility that there is a typo (copyist error) in this
verse, it also reads correctly as written, i.e. referring to widows. Look at
the conjugation of the verbs in the section, this is not a continuation of
the previous verses, even though it appears to be so. Hence, Gesenius is
wrong (not surprising).

> (b) Four more examples like this, with lamed/L being interchangeable with
> resh/R in Biblical Hebrew in certain contexts, are set forth by Aloysius
> Fitzgerald in "The Interchange of L, N, and R in Biblical Hebrew", in
> Journal of
> Biblical Literature, Vol. 97, No. 4 (Dec, 1978), pp. 481-488.
>
> (i) At Job 6: 15-17, "understand… ayin-lm here as a dialectal form of
> ayin-rm". At p. 483. Ayin-resh-mem means "heaped". Ayin-lamed-resh, by
> contrast, "denotes 'hidden from the mind so that one is unaware of,
> unconcerned about
> an idea, activities, a situation or the like.' The verb is never used of a
> physical thing being hidden from the eyes of a beholder."

Wrong again. Making unknown is used to indicate things, including physical
objects, out of sight.

> At p. 483. Here,
> the snow is "heaped up",

This is poetic, and heaped up is not a necessary reading of the verse.

> rather than the snow being "unaware" of some "
> situation", or someone being "unaware" of the "situation" regarding the
> snow.

Snow is the subject of the verb, covering that which is underneath. You
misread the text (sorry, you don't read Hebrew).

> (ii) "The second instance, confirmatory of the first, of this interchange
> [of lamed/L with resh/R] in Job 6 is found in v 25: …Here nmrsw = nmlsw…."
> At
> p. 485.

MRC is a correct reading of the word, no need to speculate about a typo
here.

> These examples show that even within the Bible itself, resh/R and lamed/L
> are
> sometimes interchangeable.

Not one of your examples stands up as a necessary reading of the verses,
hence this supposed interchange between lamedh and resh is highly
speculative at best.