b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XBR vs. ubburu: Hebron

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Riley" <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: "B Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XBR vs. ubburu: Hebron
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 00:08:32 +1100 (AUS Eastern Daylight Time)

Jim,

I am not sure you can claim this as anything more than circumstantial
evidence. It is obvious reading Fitzgerald's article that there are
significant Hebrew scholars who disagree with his position. He also limits
the use of these words to poetry. Yes, it is evidence of the interchange of
L and R *in some words*, and that difference is *probably* dialectal. If
your theory rested on a number of solid pillars, using this piece of
evidence would not matter. As most of your evidence is controversial, you
really need to find some good, solid, widely accepted evidence to balance
out the controversial evidence if you want to be taken seriously. You need
to explain why a process that seems to apply only to poetry - and Hebrew is
certainly far from unique in this respect - should occur in prose. You
cannot use Egyptian - which consistently represents both R and L by R - as
evidence that Hebrew had a dialectal form with L in any particular word. I
also see no evidence that dialects consistently confused or reversed R and L
but that R L and N interchange in what appears to be a relatively small
number of words. You are making a mistake that a number of people make in
looking at the Bible: X *can* mean Y, therefore X *must* mean Y in this case
You need evidence that it does. Where is the evidence from Semitic?
Egyptian is ambiguous, but just one example where R and L interchange in
your word would add weight to your argument. Do not equate an interchange
with confusion. The majority of words seem to have had L or R consistently.
There are other languages with the same sort of interchange, but native
speakers do not confuse the sounds, they just accept that some speakers use
one sound and some another *in a restricted set of words*. You need to find
an example where XBR = XBL = )BL, and also to persuade someone that 'aleph
is prosthetic so that they could be = BR. You are asking us to accept a
conclusion based on a number of questionable if...then statements.

Jim, I read a lot of reasonably complicated papers, and even experts who are
almost canonised in my field indulge in this process of "If X=Y and A=B, and
if we were to accept that Z may be true..then this answer follows logically"
at times. But they do so in terms of lightly held "what if this were true"
speculation. You are solidly committed to your conclusions. That makes it
very difficult to get you to see how unlikely your ideas are at times. You
have so far failed to take the suggestion, but the only way to test your
theory is to set it out logically, step by step, and then let people who are
experts in Semitic languages, history, etc comment on it. You won't be the
first person on this list to have had cherished ideas destroyed by criticism
that make your ideas no longer tenable. But there is something wonderful
about arriving at a conclusion that convinces others, even if you have to
give up some amazing ideas that suffer from no defect other than being wrong
If you really want to know if your theory stands up, then set it out and
see how much of it survives.

Kevin Riley