b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XBR vs. ubburu: Hebron

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Kevin Riley <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XBR vs. ubburu: Hebron
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 12:22:04 -0800

Kevin:

First, thanks for sending the article.

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 7:39 PM, Kevin Riley <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>wrote:

> Karl,
>
> Jim's examples come from a paper by Aloysius Fitzgerald, who does read
> Hebrew. As I said in my response, Fitzgerald acknowledges that there are
> heavy-weight Hebrew scholars who disagree with him. I am not sure you can
> access the paper on the net without a subscription, but what Jim reports is
> an accurate report of Fitzgerald's position.
>
> Kevin Riley
>
> There is good reason why heavy-weight Hebrew scholars disagree with him. In
every case where he alleges the possibility of such a letter substitution,
there is also a good reason not to conclude such a substitution. Reasons
include that there are other roots (meanings) attached to the contexts or
words in question, that the inflections of the verbs indicate different
subjects than he claims, and so forth. The bottom line is that this theory
is highly speculative and needs better examples before it can be seriously
considered.