b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Another pronunciation question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Brak <Brak AT neo.rr.com>
  • To: Gabe Eisenstein <gabe AT cascadeaccess.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Another pronunciation question
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 22:43:18 -0500

The difference between het and kaph without the dagesh is that the het is more breathy, where the kaph is more solid.

In Tiberian Hebrew there is no ghayin/ayin distinction - as the ayin can not receive a dagesh. Concidering that the word Gamorrah is spelled with a Greek Gamma when translated the ayin is most likely more like the Arabic ghayin. The sound of this is almost like a drowning/gargling sound.

The Gimel without the dagesh is like the English letter "J".

Another letter of importance (which you didn't list) is the letter Qof, which is like a choking/gagging sound - like if you were trying to make yourself throw up by just using your throat.

Hope that helps.

B"H
John Steven

"He who makes a mistake is still our friend; he who adds to or shortens a melody is still our friend; but he who violates a rhythm unawares can no longer be our friend."
-Ishaq Ibn Ibrahim 767-850 CE.

"If you don't behave as you believe, you will end by believing as you behave."
-Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"The difference between the intelligent man and the simpleton is not the correctness of their decisions, but rather the cunning sinner can more skillfully defend and justify his iniquity."
- Rabbi Tovia Singer

Gabe Eisenstein wrote:
I'm a simple Anglophone whose only real foreign language is French, with a smattering of German. I quickly get lost in the IPA chart. My question here is perhaps only clearly answerable in an audio file. If you know of any to point me to, that would be great. Otherwise try your best with text.

What I want to know (hear; be able to produce) are the differences (if any) between the following:

heth
soft kaph
ayin
ghayin
soft gimel
final consonant of Scottish "loch"
penultimate consonant of German "nicht"
[others you think relevant here, including from Arabic]

thanks,

Gabe Eisenstein