b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XBR vs. ubburu: Hebron

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "James Spinti" <JSpinti AT Eisenbrauns.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XBR vs. ubburu: Hebron
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 14:05:43 -0500

A lurker on the list pointed out to me that in Egypt there is no "L." I then
asked a friend of mine with a Ph.D. from U of Chicago in Egyptology. Here is
his response:

Old, Middle, and Late Egyptian transcribed foreign language "L" with Egyptian
"r." You can refer her to Helck, Beziehungen Ägyptens zu Vorderasien (The
Relationships of Egypt to the Near East) and to the works of Elmar Edel, both
of whom did extensive work in the area of Egyptian transcriptions of foreign
names. Those are off the top of my head, but if she searches these in
books.google.com and in Egyptological web sites, it should pull up other more
contemporary references.
--------

I repeat my advice to Jim: 1. Get a blog, publish your ideas in a coherent
fashion.
2. Learn comparative Semitics, or at least read a book or two about
it.

I will now cease responding to this thread; it is pointless. But, I did want
other people to realize just how impossible Jim's ideas are. Now it's someone
else's turn to get fed up with his ramblings and respond :(

James
James Spinti
Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com