b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] B in Gen 1:1 (was Hebrew considerations)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Stephen Shead <srshead+bh AT gmail.com>
  • To: l_barre AT yahoo.com, b-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] B in Gen 1:1 (was Hebrew considerations)
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 21:36:56 -0300

Lloyd,

I'm a little confused! If I didn't make myself clear before, I do not agree
with your translation of BR)$T in Gen 1:1. Yes, I agree that B has a
temporal sense here. But for that reason, "as a beginning, elohim
created..." is a bad translation: "as" (in that context) is not a temporal
preposition at all. On the other hand, "in the beginning" is a temporal
translation of B, and is perfectly adequate. "In the beginning" is *not* a
locative translation of B.

Stephen Shead
Santiago, Chile