b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] B in Gen 1:1 (was Hebrew considerations)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Stephen Shead <srshead+bh AT gmail.com>
  • To: l_barre AT yahoo.com, b-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] B in Gen 1:1 (was Hebrew considerations)
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 00:07:05 -0300

First, guilty as charged - I love little details, especially linguistic ones
:) But in this case, I don't think I strayed at all from the "simple
point"; I was just responding to your assertion with a detailed rebuttal of
the translation. Sorry if it was too detailed for your tastes.

Secondly, I didn't mean to imply anything about the pre-existence or
otherwise of the primeval waters, as presented in Gen 1. I'm not sure where
you got that from in my response - nothing in my argument precludes either a
pre-existent view or an ex nihilo view. (Actually, if people want to
continue that debate, from a Hebrew grammar point of view, I'll listen in
with great interest - though I'd suggest a new thread.)

Stephen Shead
Santiago, Chile