b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] B in Gen 1:1 (was Hebrew considerations)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: LM Barre <l_barre AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Stephen Shead <srshead+bh AT gmail.com>, b-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] B in Gen 1:1 (was Hebrew considerations)
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 11:10:35 -0800 (PST)

How can creation be ex nihilo when the waters and the darkeness and the
divine wind pre-exist?  The "beginning" (rosh) is the beginning of the
creative acts where gods overcome formlessness (tohu) and emptiness (bohu).
The primeval waters are separated by the firmament, a solid, pounded out
crystal like thing that suspends the waters above from the waters below.
This type of cosmology is common in the ANE.  Tiamat, the waters of chaos,is
also split in half like a shellfish to separate the celestial waters from the
terrestial waters.

Lloyd Barré, PhD